Pages

Friday, April 12, 2013

Cultural Events, Overview



 From my weekly comments for Honors Colloquium:

During this semester, I have had the opportunity to attend a number of local cultural events, belying the idea that there is nothing to do in Lawton. I began this semester by attending a book reading and signing of One Hundred Years of Marriage by Louise Farmer Smith in the Cameron library. The reading was pleasant, but not particularly remarkable. In February, I took a date to see the Cameron University Theater’s rendition of Nora, which is an adaptation of Henrik Ibsen’s ‘A Doll’s House’. This play was particularly controversial in its day, existing as a criticism of the institution of marriage as it existed in the nineteenth century, and the Cameron Theater did it justice. I note that it is no less relevant now, as we begin our second century removed. In April, I attended George McCormick’s book reading and signing of his newest work, Salton Sea, which took place at the Leslie Powell Gallery. His reading was powerful, and reminded me that the professors at Cameron do not just teach; they also do. Most recently, I attended the Lawton Philharmonic, and was treated to wonderful Italian classical music, followed by a short reception for the musicians. Each of these events has added to my grasp of the arts, and I’m glad to have had these opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment